CONDOM LISTING CHANGES
From 1 October 2019 new ranges of condoms were listed in Section B of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
There is a 5 month transition period where all incumbent product and new product will remain listed. There are a few the incumbent products where there is a direct replacement available and we will implement automatic replacement on depletion of existing stocks.
There is one exception due to a price increase for Durex Confidence from the supplier and NO SUBSIDY INCREASE. Therefore until delisting 1 March 2020, this product will be partially subsidised only and will carry a patient surcharge.
All other products will remain funded at current schedule pricing until delisting 1 March 2020.
The following is an extract from the PHARMAC Enquiry team, which will hopefully help us all understand these changes:-
Please find below clarification of the new condom listings:
- From 1 October 2019 the maximum number of condoms able to be dispensed or available on a PSO will be 60 condoms. The exceptions to this are 49mm and 60mm nominal width condoms, which will continue to be able to be dispensed or available on a PSO in quantities of 144 condoms.
- From 1 October 2019 Moments brand 53mm and 56mm nominal width condoms will be available in both dispensing and bulk pack sizes.
- Moments brand dispensing packs of condoms will be supplied in boxes of 12 packs of 10 condoms. Moments brand bulk packs will be available as packs of 144 condoms.
- PHARMAC advises pharmacies to use dispensing packs of Moments brand 53mm and 56mm nominal width condoms as this will allow up to 60 condoms to be easily supplied to customers and avoids the need to count out 60 individual condoms, however pharmacies will be able to access bulk packs of condoms if they choose.
- Gold Knight brand of condoms will continue to be supplied in boxes of 12 packs of 12 condoms and will be available in 56mm nominal width 0.05mm thickness, and flavoured presentations.
Further information is available in PHARMAC’s notification to make changes to funded male latex condoms:
To cut to the chase, pharmacy should stock and dispense Moments 10 pack and Gold Knight 12 packs only of 53 mm and 56 mm products. Primarily due to the fact, that only 60 devices are available per prescription or PSO.
It also helps pharmacy from the profitability side in that you will get either 6 pack fees with Moments, or 5 pack fees with Gold Knight.
We will initially have all of the BULK 144 packs as PROCURE lines until there is sufficient consumption data available to determine which ones we need to carry in stock. If you are supplying bulk product to Family Planning or similar then please do not hesitate to let us know so that we can accommodate your needs.
The only exception will be the replacement for Shield 49 Pharmacode 2099462 with Moments 49 mm Pharmacode 2575485, again as stock of the incumbent are depleted.
As of the date of this notification ProPharma / PWR cannot accept Condoms that are to be delisted March 2020 for credit under any circumstances.
Hopefully you find this information helpful.
We thank you in anticipation of your ongoing support.